Prof. Leonard Forbes is a prolific American Inventor with 1520 worldwide patent applications that belong to 410 patent families. Most of his inventions are focused on semiconductor memories, CCD’s, thin film processes and materials, and VLSI technologies.
Prof Forbes (Retd.) has more than 30 years of research experience in the semiconductor industry. His professional journey has been really dynamic which includes careers in military, engineer, teaching, and performing research.
Born in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada in 1940, young Leonard (18 years old) served the Royal Airforce of Canada at various ranks during 1958-1966.
He earned his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1970. Thereafter Leonard Forbes taught at various US universities and was affiliated with many corporates. You can find the list of those universities and corporations below:
- Research Associate – University of Illinois (1970)
- Corporation visiting professor – Howard University (1972)
- Assistant professor – University Arkansas (1973-75)
- Associate professor – University California (1976-77 & 1979-81)
- Adjunct Professor – Portland State University (1983)
- Professor – Oregon State University (1983-2000)
- Visiting Professor – University of California (2000-01)
- Professor – Oregon State University (2001-2010) & retired in 2010
- Staff engineer – International Business Machines Corporation (1970-72)
- Telex Computer Products (1974)
- D.H. Baldwin (1978)
- Hewlett-Packard Laboratories (1979-81)
- Hewlett-Packard (1981-85)
- Fairchild (1988 -92)
- Naval Ocean Systems Center (1993)
- Hewlett-Packard (1996-2007)
- Micron Technology (2008)
- Advanced Pixel Research Lab (2009-11)
- SiOnyx (2010-12)
- L. Forbes and Associates LLC (2012-Present)
Technology Areas and Patent Families’ Status of Leonard Forbes Patents
Leonard Forbes’ first invention was filed in 1989. His latest invention was filed in 2019. His inventions are filed under many technologies area but most of his inventions, 310 patent families, are of electrical domain.
The below-mentioned chart shows the top five technologies areas of Leonard Forbes’ patents. Further, you can find the legal status of his patents – how many inventions are still active and how many are inactive now.
Top Five Assignees’ of Leonard Forbes Patents
Though Leonard Forbes worked with many corporates during his professional career, 369/410 of his patents have Micron Technology as assignee. The exhibit below represents the top five companies and their respective patent count.
In Which Countries Leonard Forbes Patents Are Filed?
The exhibit below represents the worldwide filing of Leonard Forbes’ patents. Most of the patents in his portfolio belong to the United States as he conducted most of his research at US universities and US companies.
Inventor Ship of Leonard Forbes Patents
Leonard Forbes has 410 patent families in his patent portfolio. He is an individual inventor of 121 and a co-inventor in the rest 289 core patents.